Monday, March 2, 2009

Dresden Codak

by Aaron S. Diaz



Owen: Well. This comic uses a lot of big words and symbols and formulas. Making it pretty hard to make fun of. However, I'm pretty sure that it's not funny. I do like the drawings though. It's a bit "Tony Millionaire", especially with the combination of detailed drawings and esoteric words.

Victor: I think anything is pretty easy to make fun of. Watch this: THIS SHIT IS WACK. See? Naw actually I liked the drawings a lot. I feel you on the Tony Millionaire. Plus a little bit of Edward Gorey and that Finnish chick Tove Jansson. GOOGLE THAT. For some reason I laughed at "I possess absolute causal knowledge of the Universe!" with his eyes all bugged out. But then I got bored and stopped reading. TOO MANY WORDS DUDE. I REALLY LIKE WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS FOR THE "YELLING" EFFECT!

Owen: I wonder if it's supposed to be a pun on "carnal knowledge" or if "causal knowledge" is it's own phrase. I googled some things and came to the conclusion that this comic doesn't make any fucking sense. Actually, it's kind of just a lot of references to different things thrown together for no particular reason, kind of like this blog. Do you think it's a viable form of criticism for us to just point out all the other things that certain web comics remind us of, in a way that diminishes their originality?

Victor: Well, before I answer that question Owen, I'd like to point out to our (apparently ten-ish now?) readers that this is the first official usage of a new style we proposed to implement in our previous post. We gave you an example in that post but this is the real deal. OK, so regarding your question, I think the only way I usually think/talk about shit is by referencing other shit, some times to Shit A's credit and sometimes to Shit B's credit or sometimes to the credit of both Shits A and B or sometimes to the credit of neither. I'm not sure what a "viable form of criticism" can/could/should/would/ought look like. I kind of see this blog as us continually realizing that the more you think about anything, the less justification there seems to be for criticizing it and the more arbitrary and absurd our personal senses of aesthetics/etc. are. I think "causal knowledge" is a thing. Let's Google it. OK, Googled it. It does exist. I don't feel like reading about it though. [LOCATION CHANGE NOTE: We just changed locations. We're writing this on another wireless. Live blogging. This girl named Amanda's house, all our readers might not know her. Well Bob, Kathy, Hima and Terence know her at least. Someone just emailed me this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Indie-(for-Girls). Pretty fun in theory already and I haven't even looked at it. Oh shit, I forgot that I was writing this in an Editorial Bracket Thing. OK, end brackets.]

Owen: Dude, you are really high right now.

Victor: I know, I know. What were we talking about?

Owen: To be continued...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely understood all aspects of this comic and found it extremely funny and witty. I have looked all over the Web and most people who don't like this comic, also appear to not understand it. It's ok. This is some very high level humor here. And the phrase "Causal Knowledge" is not a code or a reference to any concept - causal refers to causality and the universe is, well the Universe. He is saying he understands all causes and effects in the Universe, probably including it's original cause. And the rest is mostly humor based on some previous schools of philosophical thought.

KOOL A.D. said...

ok POINDEXTER

Resuna said...

When you're in a gym that's a big box built by, basically, jocks, it's pretty easy to make fun of the geeks because you can't see them actually doing much that you'll ever benefit from. Especially in an older building without cool trusses and stuff that you probably never look up to notice because you really dig the feel of your knuckles on the ground.

But when you're commenting on the Internet, which is basically built by Poindexter, on Blogger, a website built by Poindexter and owned by the geekiest company in the known universe, that kind of high school beat-em-up-behind-the-gym talk is a bit incongruous.